Beginning AVID Excel
AVID Excel is available to AVID member districts. If you are interested in becoming an AVID Excel district, there are several factors to consider before implementation. Each site will be considered for AVID Excel on a case-by-case basis. Districts must commit to implementing AVID Excel at least two months prior to the end of the school year, in order to allow time to recruit students and plan the AVID Excel Summer Bridge.
In order to be considered for AVID Excel, a district must have a:
- Strong AVID feeder patterns and AVID Elective class at the middle and high schools
- A strong AVID reputation (i.e., students want to be in AVID)
- A college-readiness culture/priority in the district
- A willingness to designate a district leader for AVID Excel
- Flexible master schedules that will accommodate the AVID Excel course sequence in 7th and 8th grades, an increase in the number of students enrolling in 9th-grade AVID, and enough college- preparatory course offerings to support increased enrollment
- A data collection process to identify ELL subgroups, specifically long-term ELLs
- A source of funding (e.g., Title I, Title III, EIA, GEAR UP, Race to the Top, grants)
- A commitment to recruiting and training college tutors
For additional information, review:
AVID Excel Costs
AVID Excel is a supplemental program to the AVID System for secondary member sites. The multi-year implementation plan includes the following: curriculum sets for the AVID Excel Summer Bridge and AVID Excel Elective, professional learning for AVID Excel Elective teachers, content-area teachers, and district leaders, expert coaching, site visitation, and ongoing online support.
It takes a strong instructional and financial commitment to successfully implement the AVID Excel program. There is a participation fee, as well as professional learning, site visit, and curriculum costs, associated with AVID Excel. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the current pricing structure. Some funding sources available for AVID Excel include Title I, Title III, EIA funds, and various state and federal grants.
If your district is interested in implementing AVID Excel, or if you have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.